Thursday, March 8, 2007

Love At First Sight

Earlier this month, one of the girls at the shelter came into the office and told me that someone had come in and owner released a black lab. They all know that I have a soft spot for black labs, and think that Fred is a total character.

I asked about her - she's a year and a half old and came from a pet store. The lady that turned her over had her and an older dog, but the lab kept getting out of the fence and they live on a busy street. She's spayed and has all of her shots. She's absolutely gorgeous and a great dog.

I just looked at her. A year and a half old? Why…she's practically out of puppy hood! Only six more months to go and she'll be finished chewing!

I brushed it off…I've got my hands full with Fred as it is. And Hubby isn't around. I promised him that we could get another dog…when he comes back, and I have closet doors (I like my shoes, after all), and we have all the proper equipment for a puppy. Like a crate to keep one in when we're not home. You know…to protect my shoes. And the remote controls. And the furniture.

Well, a couple of days go by, and I have to wander up to the adoption center to let a photographer for the city newsletter in. While he's doing his thing, I walk over to say hello to the dogs. And there she is. The beautiful lab stranded in the adoption center. Purebred or not…those papers will never matter again. She's been abandoned by her family, and is now in a chaotic and unfamiliar place.

My heart melted. I stuck my fingers through the kennel door and she started showering them with kisses. Why, she's so sweet! How could anyone get rid of her?

For the rest of the day, she was stuck in my head. I kept thinking about that sweetheart in the kennel, so timid and scared.

The next day started off like a normal day. It wasn't until well after I was at work that I was struck. Sadie would be such a perfect name for her! Sadie Sullivan. Sadie Marie. Sadie.

Sadie.

Suddenly her fate was sealed. I knew she'd be coming home with me. Fred would be so happy - he's needed a companion for so long! Someone to help him expel some of the energy he seems to have so much of. Someone to keep him company during the day. I emailed my Hubby - half a world away - and broke the news. I wanted this dog to come home. We need her. She probably needs us.

That night, on my way home from work, I stopped by the pet store and picked up a name tag. There, in my hand, was Sadie's gold. Her golden tag - Sadie Sullivan.

This morning, I gave Fred a pep talk. You're going to be a big brother, I told him, you have to show Sadie the ropes around here. You have to tell her about the schedule, the cats and that we don't roughhouse inside. You'll share your room with her, and your toys. You're going to be a great big brother, I just know it!

So today, Sadie was bathed and ready to go when I got off work. I had already made arrangements for her - I purchased a crate from a girl at work (my shoes need saving, you know) and spent my lunch break at the pet store, buying Sadie a new leash, bowls and rawhides.

After work, I stopped by the adoption center with Sadie's tag in my pocket and her leash flung around my neck. A couple of quick signatures, and she was brought out - clean and shiny and wearing a brand new collar. A quick slip on of her new tag and a clip of the leash, and we're off! She's such a good girl - right into the car and on our way to her new home.

I had put some thought into this…how am I going to introduce her to her big brother? He has no clue she's coming home!

I slipped her into the back yard using the side gate. She can have a few minutes to explore on her own while I get in the front door and greet Fred.

Fred and I go through our normal afternoon routine - I come in the door and deactivate the alarm and he's ecstatic to see me. We have out greeting, but this time it's different. I smell like someone else. He sniffs the leash in my hand…and runs his nose over my clothes. Who is that? Why do you smell like someone else?!?

I lead him to the sliding glass door and open the door letting him outside. A normal part of our routine, only this time I follow. Sadie isn't in sight yet - she's still sniffing out the Fred scents around the corner. I call out for Sadie, and she comes bolting around the corner. Fred is caught off guard - who is this?

His initial reaction, spawned by surprise, is to snap at her. A quick correction from me pulls him out of that, and he's instantly curious. Fred and Sadie spend time in the back yard getting to know each other. After just a few minutes, a bond is established and they're sharing Fred's favorite outdoor ball and romping in the yard.

Yes - Fred is so happy to have another dog in our clan!

The cats, however, are not amused.

After Fred and Sadie got through their initial high energy greeting, I let them in the house so that Sadie could explore. It didn't take her long to discover two cats residing in the house! They were under the dining room table, and not happy to find this new addition to the family.

Sadie is, of course, curious about these creatures. They hiss and swat. She backs away and tries to play. It's only a matter of time before contact is made and she discovers that they have no claws.

Sadie is a pup - she needs guidance and patience. We have some work to do. Don't chase the cats. That's not your toy. The litterbox is not a vending machine. No roughhousing inside. Stay away from the cat food. Your bowls are over here. "Stay" means stay. And we have to get her on our schedule.

Life will be good for Sadie here. She has a high energy playmate to keep her busy. There is plenty of love in this clan to go around. She's a sweetheart, and a welcome addition to the clan. Indeed.

She may be a purebred, but that never matters once they're in a shelter. Besides - I've got the most important papers in her life now - adoption papers! I can't believe I fell in love at first sight.

I can't wait for her Daddy to come home and meet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment