Saturday, August 4, 2007

Touch

The simple act of Touch has a powerful effect.

Every day, my dogs cuddle up to me, nudging me. All they want is for me to Touch them. A pat on the head in passing, a scratch behind the ears, rubbing their temples. The simple act of my Touching them gives them comfort and reassurance. They are happy and respond with relaxed grunts and thumping tails. They are validated in their "good dog" status once more.

I feel their life vibes penetrate into me when I Touch them. I am momentarily calmed - my dogs have served an immense purpose in those few seconds of contact. I feel their love and adoration whenever they curl at my feet, rest their heads in my lap or nudge me with their icy cold little noses. They love me, just as I love them, and they want to take a moment to share that love with me.

Even my independent and free thinking cats value Touch. They will curl up next to me on the couch, Kismet nesting his head against me, prodding me with a cold nudge of his nose. He craves my Touch, and if I try to pull my hand away he reaches out and pulls it back. Taboo will lay next to me on the couch, his paw extended out specifically for the Touch of my skin. He is known to perch himself on the floor…waiting to roll over for a belly rub if we should make eye contact. The contact of my hand on their soft fur is comforting and brings relaxation.

Skin on skin. The art and comfort behind the Touch.

When I walk by my Hubby, more often than not I reach out and make contact. I'll kiss the top of his head, run my hand along his bare shoulders. I always take an opportunity to Touch him in passing.  Playful pats, lingering brushes.  The Touch of lovers. I feel his warm skin make contact with mine, and in an instant love is communicated, without words.

I take every opportunity to press our skin together - kisses, holding hands, leaning into him while watching television, spooning at night, touching our feet together. The lifetime of long separations makes the act of Touch more valuable to me. There are long stretches of time when our skin cannot contact - I cannot feel the warmth of his body next to mine. It is during these long, lonely stretches that my skin aches for him - to be Touched by him.

The smallest Touch brings comfort and warmth. I seek it in my every day existence and find it here - among my loved ones. I am blessed to have this much love in my life, and to be able to feel the love without expressing it in words…through the simple act of reaching out and Touching one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment