Saturday, August 11, 2007

I'm Southern, Alright?

Those of you that know me know that I am a Southern Girl.  And I love my Sweet Tea.  So much so that I celebrated my return to the South and the readily available heaven-on-ice that is my Sweet Tea, available practically everywhere.  Everywhere that counts, that is.

Unfortunately, that reunion was to be short lived when Hubby accepted a job offer that would bring us out West.  We came out on a house-hunting excursion and I clung to the pre-made Lipton bottles available from the convenience store's refrigerated cases.  I got strange looks from the cashier when I appeared at the register with half a dozen bottles.  I just looked at her and said, "I'm from the South."  That should explain it all.  But alas, the Lipton substitute with the blue label (sweetened, no lemon) left me with a bitter aftertaste.  This love affair would not last long.

I was beginning to mourn my precious Sweet Tea, when my mother-in-law came to the rescue with a Mr. Coffee tea brewer that came with not one, but two pitchers!

Now my sweeter-than-thou beverage is readily available from my own fridge...and I've spread the wealth by bringing the sweetness to work with me.

I always tell people, "I'm from the South.  I like my tea sweet, and sweetened right."  That means made with real sugar, and it has to be added while the tea is still hot from the brewing process.  If you fail in that crucial step, the sugar doesn't melt in the tea, and you're left with a granulated mess.  Thus, I can't order tea in restaurants and add sugar when it arrives.  That's just not right.

While perusing the internet today, I stumbled across this article on the South's love affair with Sweet Tea.  It pretty much hits the nail on the head - Southeners love their tea, and they love it sweet.  Anyone that lives in the South and doesn't love their Sweet Tea just ain't right.

*********************************************************

I Wish I Lived in a Land of Lipton

What makes Southern sweet tea so special?

No comments:

Post a Comment