Sunday, April 8, 2007

Spring Fever

Spring is here - the sweet scents of blossoms carry on the wind and assault the senses. Merely stepping outside, you are hit with a barrage of smells. Nearby orchards carry the scents of their trees in bloom - fragrant perfumes carrying across miles to find you.

I'm spending my weekends outside in the garden. Since the beginning of this little affair last year, I've fallen head-over-heels in love with the art of gardening. Spending the hours of my weekend days in the garden brings such great joy. While nurturing and caring for the little beauties in my care, I am delighted in seeing them thrive and prosper. Gorgeous flowers, scents, colors and hues dot my landscape.

I have the freedom of experimentation. I spend time walking the aisles at the local nursery - looking for something to catch my eye. Bright colors, saucer like flowers, delicate and ornate structures. When I fall in love, the plant comes home. I set it in the garden bed until the weekend comes around and I have the free time to work in the dirt.

I garden for me. I look for what catches my eye and brings me pleasure. I'm slowly turning the front garden into what is known as a "cottage garden." Beautiful flowers in a multitude of hues are finding their way into my little collection.

I eye the existing shrubs with disdain, and plot their demise. They will be replaced with elegant shrubs that flower. A few evergreens will find their way in as well, but things far more interesting that the existing shrubs. I want flowers and color, and these are just not working in my plan.

In the back yard, I am somewhat limited. This is the dogs' domain. I have integrated in my beloved jasmine near the bedroom window. And I will be basking in their fragrant blossoms in mere days, enjoying the cool evenings with open windows.

I plot the removal of a few select shrubs - to be replaced with flowering hibiscus and possibly more roses. And a gardenia near the patio - more opportunity to enjoy fragrant blossoms.

I've overtaken the patio with plantings. Instituting a flower bed in a neglected nook, and recruiting some old security bars to act as trellises, I will train flowering vines that will be enjoyed as the season progresses. Containers dot this landscape…seeking shade near the fence, I have a wild assortment of beautiful pots holding even more beautiful ornamental plantings. In a sunny corner of the patio, I have my sun-worshiping plants nested in their colorful containers.

I take such joy in sitting and enjoying the plantings. Nurturing their growth with nutrients and water. Time spent in the garden is time spent for me. I take pride in watching my little charges grow and change. Flowers burst forth in a colorful show meant to tantalize the senses. I have a hand in all of this. I carefully choreograph the dance, outfit them in bright costumes and enjoy their show. I tend to them with such care - basking in their day-to-day changes.

In addition to the beauty of the flowers, I also welcome birds into my garden. I have set aside the front garden as a bird sanctuary and enjoy watching them scurry through the garden from my perch in front of my office window. They feed from my feeders, bathe in the bath set up just for them, and trot around in the garden scratching for insects. They are such joys to watch - I can count more than twenty in the yard at times.

Yes, spring has arrived - calling me outdoors. My tree is leafing out, the grass is green again. Warm weather is here - how can I resist the call? I gladly bask in the joys of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment